In Memoriam

Soldiers gather, to drink and chatter

about things that matter.

Of mates who lived short years ago, who loved and laughed, their hearts aglow.

Yet now who in death do rest, at what we the living take for granted each day.

And as evening falls we'll make a vow,

that in the morn our heads to bow,

in their fond memory - then and now.


Private Gregory Michael Sher

Killed in Action, Afghanastan

4th January 2009

5/6RVR - 2 Commando Coy​


Private Sher, a member of the Special Operations Task Group, was killed in a rocket attack in Oruzgan Province, Afghanistan when Taliban insurgents engaged an Afghan forward operating base with rockets. An Australian Commando element was deployed at the base during the attack. Private Sher died as a result of this indirect fire.


Greg Sher joined the Army Reserve in 1998 as an infantryman with B Coy

5th/6th Battalion, Royal Victoria Regiment. He served in East Timor in 2002.

He transferred to 2 Commando Coy in 2004 and completed the commando selection course and joined the 1st Commando Regiment going on to complete the suite of Special Forces courses required to become a qualified commando. For his service in East Timor, Private Sher received the Australian Active Service Medal, the United Nations Transitional Authority in East Timor Medal and the Infantry Combat Badge. Private Sher was also awarded the Afghanistan Campaign Medal, the NATO Medal with ISAF Clasp, the Australian Defence Medal and the Returned from Active Service Badge.

Lieutenant Marcus Case

Killed in Action 30 May 2011 Afghanastan

5/6RVR - 2 Commando Coy - 6th Aviation Regiment


Lieutenant Marcus Case, 27 was a lieutenant in the 6th Aviation Regiment. Lieutenant Case was killed when an Australian Chinook helicopter crashed east of Tarin Kowt during a re-supply mission in Zabul Province on 30 May 2011. This was Lt. Case's first deployment to Afghanistan.  Lieutenat Case, an accomplished helicopter pilot with 6th Aviation Regiment, deployed to Afghanistan to work with the Royal Australian Air Force as a Heron Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Operator.

​He enlisted in the Army Reserve on 25 June 2002 and was posted to B Company 5/6 Battalion, Royal Victoria Regiment.​ In 2003, he transfered to 2 Comando Coy and commenced the Commando selection and training process with the 1st Commando Regiment. On 19 March 2008, Lieutenant Case transferred to the 6th Aviation Regiment as a helicopter pilot.

Australian Army pilot Lieutenant Marcus Case was farewelled with a military funeral on Friday, 10 June 2011 by his family, friends and Army mates at St Bede’s Church in Balwyn North.  An escort of Australian Army Aviators, Commandos and soldiers from B Coy 5/6 RVR lead the funeral cortege for Lieutenant Marcus Case after leaving St Bede's Catholic Church, Balwyn North, Melbourne.


Sergeant Warren JANSON

Passed away 31 May 2011 (Result of car accident)

1RVR - 5/6RVR - 2 Commando Coy


Warren joined B Coy 1RVR in 1979 spending around 7 years with the RVR before transfering to 2 Commanado Coy, Willamstown were he went on to serve for around 20 years. A fireman with the MFB he tragicley died after a night shift. A highly respected soldier and mate to all. Dearly loved partner of Leigh. Cherished father of Sarah, Benjamin, Jeremy and Emma. Much loved brother of Joan, Andrew and Tania. The Funeral Service for Warren was held at the Victoria Police Academy Chapel, Glen Waverley on June 14, 2011




Chaplain Max Smith 

Passed away October 2011

Formerly Pardre of 5th/6th Battalion RVR 


Chap Smith was called up for national service training in 1951 and served until 1956.

He rejoined the Army Reserve as a Chaplain in 1984 and was posted to 4 Brigade.

He had moved to Western Australia and resided at Bindoon.

His wife Gaie and a son survive him.




Major Neil Bextream, RFD ED 

Passed away 5th April 2012, aged 72

58/32 Btn - 1RVR - 3OCTU - 16RWAR


Neil originally enlisted in the 58th/32nd Battalion and was commissioned into 1RVR. He occupied a wide range of regimental postings both in the RVR (OC A Coy RVR) and Royal Western Australia Regiment when he moved to Western Australia for business reasons. He was posted as a Major Instructor at 3 Officer Cadet Training Unit for a number of years.






Brigadier William Harold "Mac" Grant, OAM RFD

Passed away 10 June 2013


Mac Grant passed away in his sleep in the eairly morning of Monday 10 June 2013 at Oak Towers Nursing Home.  Mac enlisted as NX49125 MCARTHUR, WILLIAM HAROLD. Service Number 350330 (237544, N18780, NP9709, NX49125) Date of Birth 24 Jun 1922, Place of Birth CORDEAUX DAM, NSW. "Mac" Grant served Australia from World War II until he retired in 1977, in the army, the Citizen Military Forces (Army Reserve) and with the Australian Secret Intelligence Service (ASIS). He was with the army training forces in Vietnam for brief periods, and his other appointments included being in Britain, Singapore, Hong Kong and Indonesia.


His military career began when he enlisted in 1940, he enlisted in a militia battalion - 30 BN The NSW Scottish Regiment in September 1940. After completing a 90 day training camp at Greta NSW he enlisted in 1 Hvy Bde RAA of the Permanent Military Force (PMF). This unit manned coastal artillery around Australia. Members of the permanent forces were not permitted to join the AIF, so Mac, ''on very good authority from other 18-year-olds'', put his age up from 19 to 21 and enlisted in 1941 under his mother's maiden name of McArthur. He was known as ''Mac'' thereafter. He transferred from the PMF to the AIF in October 1941. When the Japanese entered the war in 1941, Grant was in a training camp at Cowra and was recruited by Major Paul Kneen to serve in special units. In 1942, the Fifth Independent Company was formed and Grant joined the 2/5 Independent Company. With brief specialist training but few basic infantry skills, the unit embarked for acclimatisation in Port Moresby before being airlifted into Wau and Bulolo, where the 2/5 carried out constant patrolling, interspersed with raids on Japanese positions. Grant was commissioned in early 1944, and in 1945 was committed with 2/12 Commando Squadron, 9 Aust Div to North Borneo and liberation of Sarawak, and from there to Labuan at war's end.


 On his return to Australia in 1949 he was given a regular commission and posted as OC / Instructor AUSTMIT (Australian Methods of Instruction Team). He remained with AUSTMIT until the end of 1951 when he attended Staff College Queenscliff. After graduating from Staff College he spent a brief period with HQ 5 Inf Bde in Sydney and was then posted to Korea/Japan where he served as a company commander with 3RAR, a general staff officer on HQ1 Commonwealth Division and 2IC of 1 Commonwealth Division Battle School. In early 1955, he was appointed to raise and command 1 Cdo Coy (later 1 INF BN (Cdo) The city of Sydney's own Regiment). He remained in command of that unit until May 1959 during which time he was seconded to the Royal Marine Commandos in UK for seven months for specialist training. In 1958 he was attached for several weeks to 21SAS in what is now West Malaysia. In 1959, Grant resigned from the army and joined ASIS as a full-time career officer. He also joined the Citizen Military Forces. In the mid-1970s, Grant was sent to Jakarta by ASIS under diplomatic cover. His military background was very useful when dealing with Indonesian generals. He was seconded to Dept of Defence and almost immediately went overseas for seven months for a series of attachments in London and Washington. BRIG Grant resigned from the ARA in June 1961 to accept a civilian appointment with the Dept of Defence. He was appointed aide-de-camp to HM The Queen in 1975 and retired from the army in 1977.


Back in Australia he joined the CMF (now the Army Reserve) after leaving the ARA. He was posted as Deputy CO to COL George Warfe in 1RVR (Pentropic), CO 6RVR, Commanding Officer Training Group and Commander 4 Task Force. He was Honorary Colonel of the Royal Victoria Regiment from 1980 to 1984.


In his civilian capacity he filled a variety of appointments in Australia with OGA and visited South Vietnam in several occasions in 1962-63 to observe AATTV and US Special Forces. He was attached to HQ British Forces in Hong Kong from 1967 to early 1971. In 1976 he was detached to the Dept of Foreign Affairs and after undergoing language training at Point Cook, he served as counsellor with the Australian Embassy in Jakarta from 1977-79. Following his return to Australia, he served in several second division appointments with the Dept of Defence until his retirement in 1984.


He was Honorary Colonel of the Royal Victoria Regiment fiom 1980-84 and was Patron of the Commando Association in Sydney. He was subsequently appointed as Commander, 3 Division Field Force Group. He was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia in 2003. He was appointed Regimental Colonel of 1st Commando Regiment in August 1990 and also appointed President of the Royal United Services Institute of Victoria. His funeral service was on Saturday (15 June) at All Souls church, 48 Bay Rd, Sandringham at 1300 Hrs with Full military honors.



Lieutenant Colonel G.M.R. (Bill) Kirkham RFD ED



Bill was CO of 5RVR during the period 1970 to 1973. Commissioned into the Victorian Scottish Regiment (VSR) he occupied a wide variety of regimental staff and training postings during his career. He was involved in two significant ceremonial events as an officer. Firstly as the Ensign of a guard provided by the VSR on the occasion of the presentation of a Field Marshal’s Baton to General Sir Thomas Blamey, and, in 1954, he commanded the Ceremonial Guard at Government House Melbourne during its occupation by HM Queen Elizabeth II.



Lieutenant Colonel Noel J. Danne, RFD ED

Passed away 30 April 2013

6RMR - 1RVR - 6RVR - 22RVR - MONUR


Noel was the Commanding Officer of 22RVR during the period 1974 to 1975. He was commissioned into the 6 Royal Melbourne Regiment in 1949 and also served in 1RVR (Pentropic) and 6RVR. Other postings included CO MONUR and a wide range of staff and instructional posts.



Colonel Geoffrey Swan, OAM  MBE  ED

Passed away 20 May 2013 



A pre-WWII militiaman Colonel Geoff Swan served in the Pacific Islands during WWII. He was CO of the 6th Battalion Royal Melbourne Regiment from 1956 to 1960 and CO 2nd Battalion, Royal Victoria Regiment (Pentropic) from 1963 to 1965. He was also a very active Legatee during his retirement.



Lieutenat Colonel Kevin Dower, ED

Passed away after a long illness 7 October 2013 

8/7RVR - 2RVR

Lieutenant Colonel Kevin Dower was commissioned into the 8th/7th Battalion (North Western Victoria Regiment) in 1954. Kevin underwent National Service training in 1952. He was posted to 2nd Battalion, Royal Victoria Regiment (Pentropic) in 1960. He occupied a range of regimental postings until promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and was posted as Commanding Officer of 2RVR during the period 1968 to 1970.



Lieutenant Ian Miles

Passed away 2014



A graduate of the first 3 OCTU Course he was commissioned into 1 Battalion Royal Victoria Regiment. Ian later served with the RAAF Air Training Corps and achieved the rank of Squadron Leader.



Colonel Keith Hatfield

Passed away 8 November 2013

2RVR (Pentropic)


An extrodinary record of service over many decades. In World War II Keith served in New Guinea as a platoon commander and transferred to the British Army for service in Burma as a company commander. He later served in Malaya with the 3rd Battalion, Royal Australia Regiment (3RAR). He served in the Korean conflict as a captain with 3RAR were he was attached to the 5th United States Air Force (USAF), 6148 TCS based at Chunchon, Korea. (Photo) His flying duties were target identification and interdiction missions. In May 1953, while serving with the 6148 TC Squadron, 5th USAF, Keith was awarded the US Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) and the US Air Medal.


Kieths 2 RVR service. During the 1960's he served with the 2nd Battalion, Royal Victoria Regiment (Pentropic) 2RVR. During this time he served as the XO. After retirement from the ARA he had a leading role in general aviation, particularly at the Berwick air field. He is survived by his wife Elsa and three children.



VX87167 (V55069)

John Victor Connard

Passed away January 2014

Victorian Scotish Regiment (VSR)


At the age of 21 John enlisted in the Victorian Scottish Regiment (VSR) in June 1939. During World War II he enlisted into the 2nd AIF "In the field, Western Australia" on the 22nd of July 1942 and was discharged on the 22nd of March 1946 with the rank of Sergeant. During WWII he served with the 16th Infantry Training Battalion.


He became an inaugural member of the VSR Association in 1946. He was a long serving committee member, a Vice President and a Life Member of the VSR Association. The Battalion was represented at Johns funeral in the best way possible; a minnie RVR Pipes and Drums band played at the servie. He would have been delighted. Thanks go to Pete Barker for oganising the band at short notice.



362165 Lieutenant Robert George PHILLPOT, PhD

Passed away 2 January 2014

1RVR - 2 Comando Coy


Robert passed OCTU training with the rank of 1st Lieutenant and was posted to B Coy 1RVR Hawthorn Depot in 1978. After a number of years as commander of a Rifle Platoon he transfered to 2 Commando Coy from 1980-1983. He died sudenly at the age of 56 while teaching in the Peoples Republic of China.



31932 WO1 Ian McPherson ROBERTSON


Passed away 24 February 2014 aged 87


“Mr. Robbie”, a truly colourful character of 3 DIV and OR Trg Wing of 3 TRG GP and veteran of many campaignes. In 1943, at 16, he almost bluffed his way into the army, which would have meant fighting in New Guinea, but the recruiting sergeant told his father, who told Robbie that if the Japanese invaded he should be home to protect his mother and sisters. He finally enlisted when he was 18, missing the end of WWII, and was sent to Kure in Japan in 1946 serving in the British Commonwealth Occupation Force (BCOF). With the rank of Sergeant he served twice in Korea with 3RAR (September 1950 to April 1951) were he was 3RAR's battalion photographer and Australia's most renowned Korean War sniper (left photo). He brifly served again in Korea with 1RAR in 1953.


Robbie served in South Vietnam with the renowned Australian Army Training Team Vietnam (AATTV) from September 1970 to January 1971 at JWTC, Nui Dat and from January to April as RSM, AATTV Saigon. May 1971 with 1st ARVN Division, TOC forward near Quang Tri and from June to August 1971, 1st ARVN Division TOC, Hue. He returned to Australia in September 1971. He was RSM, 6th Battalion RVR, a stalwart of the Division Battle School, the founder of the 3 Training Group MUR Drum Corps in the 1980's, a member of a Light Horse Re-enactment Troop, and a pretty good ball room dancer. A man with the capacity to stimulate the imagination of the young soldier. John Tuckfield who served with Robbie wrote:-


"I have so many memories of Mr Robbie. I joined the Battle School and learned more from him than anyone else in the army - not just practical things, but also that Robbie attitude. We did bayonet fighting, set up ranges, 'storm and stealth' courses, 'bomb, bullet and bayonet' ranges, at years of parades on a Thursday night and weekends at Pucka. Interestingly, for someone with such an amazing war record, most of the stories around the campfire were of the ridiculous incidents of war and army life - I remember rolling around in fits of laughter at his stories of Hamburger Bill and his Pie Cart (a former CO, I believe). He was a great man and a true mentor, and I fear we will never see his like again."


After his "retirement" Robbie was personally asked by the then General of the Army, to come back, chosing any rank he liked, and use his extraordinary enthusiasm to pass on skills rapidly being lost by the Army. He said he just wanted his old WO rank. He set up the Battle School and Drum Corp, staffed on courses at Pukapunual. He headed a Army Reserve promotion course where he personally gave drill lessons, wait for it.......before breakfast! The March Out Parade demonstrated left and right forms, on the march, with all orders called from the ranks. The parade received a standing ovation from OR Training Wing regular army personel. It was filmed and later used as a training video. On many ANZAC Day marches Robbie's Drum Corp would march to the Shrine dozens of times in front of different units with Robbie at the front keeping perfect control or on the base drum to keep the old diggers in step. On several ANZAC Day marches where old soldiers from seemingly every campaign called out fondly to him, such things as "Robbie, all these years and only a drummer boy" or afterwards quitely thanked him with phrases like, "I would n've got through it without you". WO Robbie, was an inspiration to many to just get on with it. For a detailed article on this legend of a soldier go to:-



Peter Couttie

Passed away 25 October 2014

VSR, 1RVR (Pentropic) and the AATTV


A resident of Bendigo Peter passed away peacefully, after a long illness, at St John of God Hospital, Bendigo, on October 25, 2014 aged 83 years. Peter served in the Victorian Scottish Regiment (VSR), 1RVR (Pentropic) and the Australian Training Team Vietnam (AATTV). The President and Members of the AATTV Association of Victoria regret the passing of our respected colleague and friend and offer our deepest condolences to his family. LEST WE FORGET.  His funeral took place at the Napier Park Chapel, Bendigo with internment at Heathcote cemetery.  In her newspaper eulogy Trish, his wife of 52 years wrote "Goodbye my darling man. Please keep a space ready for me. Your loving wife and partner, Patricia (Trish). - ‘Just another unaccompanied posting’.


Doug Mulder

Passed away 25 October 2014



Born in 1935 Doug passed away after a prolonged illness. Doug was a National Serviceman during the 1950's and re-joined the CMF in 1965 and completed the Southern Command  OTS Course 2/1965. On graduation he was posted to 1RVR as a Platoon Commander at A Company, Footscray. While his civilian career restricted his military activities he continued to maintain a close interest in military affairs and the Army Reserve in particular. Just before he had a number of debilitating strokes a few years ago he donated his sword to 5/6RVR to be known as the COs Sword. He is survived by his wife Ann who had been at his side constantly over the past few years. His funeral was held on October 30th at the Le Pine Chapel in Eltham.


Michael Vincent

Passed away 11 September 2014


Michael passed away peacefully after a prolonged illness.Michael was married to Leonie, and father of Meghan and Caitlyn and father-in-law of Dan and Zaynoun. The Service celebrating his life was held at the Blair Chapel, Springvale Botanical Cemetery, Princes Hwy, Springvale on Wednesday 17 September 2014.


Wayne McGregor

Passed away 7 September 2014

1RVR, 5/6 RVR


BHQ Hawthorn/Moonee Ponds


Kevin Carey

Passed away on 2 January 2015.


Kevin served with the VSR, 1RVR and 5RVR.

Joanne Roberts

Passed away 26 January 2015

1RVR - 5/6RVR


The RVR Association regrets to advise that Joanne Robertson passed away after a long battle with cancer. Joanne was in the Transport Platoon of 1RVR and 5/6RVR in the ‘70/’80s. Joanne was married to Staff Sergeant Doug Robertson who was the Transport Supervisor of that time. She is survived by Doug and two daughters and a son, and grandchildren. The funeral for Joanne took place at 1400hr on Friday the 30th January, 2015 at the Uniting Church Camperdown, Cobden Road, Camperdown. RIP Joanne.




William "Bill" Casey - 3436846

Passed away 14 May 2015

Victorian Scottish Regiment - Royal Melbourne Regiment


The Rev Mark Dunn, Minister St John's Uniting Church Essendon and

COORD Army Chaplain to 4 Brigade visited Bill in the aged care facility when he was admitted and assisted with his welfare. Bill had accumulated a large collection of VSR and army photos. He was very insistant that they were to go to the 5/6RVR museum. Battalion members ensured that this happened and they are now safely in the battalions collection at BHQ.


Captain Lionel Boxer 5/6RVR wrote:-

For the record, I have it on good authority that Bill was at one time a Private in the Victorian Scottish Regiment. People who were in the VSR and RMR in the late 1940s do remember him in the VSR. Apart from that, I cannot confirm anything else about his military service. Neither can the people at the State Trustees, who investigated his service for entitlements to pensions. Without being disrespectful, we should also acknowledge that he was mixed up about who he was and what he had done for at least part of his life. For the past two years he was very distressed. I told him that we had taken care of his property, which seemed to put him at ease at least a bit. We should appreciate, recognise and respect that he was indeed devoted to the VSR, RVR and Australian Defence Force, as well as the local community. He was indeed a kind and good man to many people.


Robyn a freind of Bill wrote:-

It is with a heavy heart that I let you know of the recent passing away of Bill Casey. He was a highly regarded elderly man who attended many of our ANZAC Day Services and our Grandparents and Special Friends’ events. Bill’s uncle, William John Jebb Casey, was a past student of St Kilda Primary School and was why Bill had a special place in his heart for our school. Bill’s uncle had been sent to ANZAC Cove before being relocated to France and Belgium, where he died tragically. The ANZAC tree was especially planted in the junior playground by Bill and the students and staff of St Kilda P.S. in 2012 to remember William John Jebb Casey. Now it will be a tree for which we will also remember Bill.
Rest in Peace, Bill.

3171634 Major Leslie James Tranter RFD

11 March 1943 - 20 June 2015

VSR - 2RVR - 5RVR - 1RAR - 2RTB - 3TRG GRP


The funeral of Major (ret) Les Tranter was held at the Alexandra Shire Hall on Saturday, 27th June, 2015.  The Shire hall was packed with 200 plus, many of them ex servicemen from across Victoria and the Nation. RVR Association members John Leyden, Ian Campey, Glen Foster and Lionel Boxer, who bagpiped, attended. The eulogy was given by former Deputy Prime Minister Tim Fisher AC and a letter received from the Governor General of Australia Peter Cosgrove AC MC - both served with Les in 1RAR in Vietnam. Les served in the Army from 1960 to 2004. He started out in the Victorian Scottish Regiment (CMF), then 2RVR (Pentropic) in the early 60's. From 1965 –1968 Lieutenant 5RVR; 7 Nov 1968 (T/Lt), Australian Staff Corps (Short Service Commission); 1968 - Lieutenant, 1RAR; 1969 - Lieutenant, 1RAR (Regimental Duty); 1971 Lieutenant 2RTB (Instructor); OR Training Wing, 3 Training Group, Puckapunyal, in late 1970s. He saw active service as a Lieutenant in South Vietnam with the 1st Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment from 18/03/1968 to 28/02/1969. He was OC Anti-Tank/Tracker Platoon with 1RAR and was present at the battle of Fire Support Base Coral. He went onto serve for 44 years in total, some of that service here in Victoria. Les lived in Alexandra with his beloved wife Tess, and children Abby and Callum. Les passed away peacefully following a long battle with Cancer. 




Les Tranter and I were the best of mates at Puckapunyal and beyond. I was coming into the Army and Les was a seasoned veteran, that’s how it was in those days. I had been a Victorian cop for seven years and decided to join the Regular Army. I went on to be the Second in Command of SASR, but I will always, always remember Les. He had such a lovely sense of humour and a wonderful spirit. I feel ashamed for dropping out of contact, for when advised of a great friend’s passing, we always feel deep regret for letting our friendship slip. Life goes on in its own way and we always regret those who were our friends. Les was one of the best. I will dig out the photographic memories of Puckapunyal and remember Les with great admiration. I offer you my sincere condolences.
Andrew J Leahy


I served with Les at 3 Training Group on and off from around 1981 until 2001. We had many long talks and discussed many things about the world, the government of the day and life in general. I always found that he was a thorough gentleman and was willing to offer sound advice if needed and would not hesitate to help when required. He would not hesitate to impart knowledge and experience onto young soldiers to assist them in their endevours. Having heard of his passing has saddened me immensely. Please accept my condolences for your loss and take comfort knowing that he had a lot of friends and people who loved and respected him. RIP LES. Rest now in the arms of Angels. Stand Down.

Your duty is done.
Barry Brewer ( WO2 Retired)

Lt Colonel Terry Blackwell RFD

Passed away 24th March 2016

3WRAAC - 3RAAPC - OCTU - 22 Construction Squadron


Terry was diagnosed with cancer a little over twelve months ago and lost her valiant fight in the company of her family. Terry joined the CMF at 3 WRAAC Company Kew and was a participant in the first co-ed camp at Site 6 Puckapunyal in 1969 with the rank of sergeant.  She was commissioned in July 1969 and was posted to the training cell at 3 WRAAC and was later posted to the training cell at 3 RAAPC. Terry subsequently served at OCTU as an instructor, as a captain, and subsequently at 22 Construction Sqn RAE with the rank of major.

 Terry was OC of the Cash Office at K89. She went on to be the first female CO of 3 RAAPC following promotion to LTCOL, and coincidentally, the last CO of 3 RAAPC which was disbanded when AFSU was raised. Following disbandment of 3 RAAPC, Terry was posted to Defence Force Recruiting at Defence Plaza. Terry is survived by husband David, and two daughters. A funeral mass was held at the Basilica of Our Lady of Victories, Camberwell, at on 1 April 2016.


Kevin Bowe

Passed away 17 April 2016



Kevin was one of the battalion band members. He always supported the association in all of our activities over the years and will be missed by us all. His funeral was held at the Springvale Botanical Cemetery on Friday April 29 at 2.15 pm.




Lieutenant T.A.R. (Roy) Waldon

Passed away August 2016



Sadly I inform you of the passing of Roy Waldon. Roy passed away on Saturday night at Dandenong Hospital where he had been in care for the past few  months. He was under 24 hour care and in deteriorating health for a couple of years. Roy served in the 5th Bn RVR and 2 Commando Coy, where he was commissioned, and returned to 5 RVR after his term at 2 Commando. Roys funeral was on the 15 August 2016 at St James Anglican Church 53 Langhorne St Dandenong


Colonel Peter Nattrass ED

Passed away August 2016



22RVR Patron, Peter Nattrass died peacefully July 2016. Peter was the Commanding Officer of 22nd Bn. Royal Victoria Regiment at the time of the presentation of the Colours.  He was also at one time the Honorary Colonel of the Monash University Regiment. His funeral was held at John Allison Monkhouse, Cnr. Stud Rd and Burwood Highway on Monday 1 Aug 2016. 


Lt Colonel Darrell Strickland

Passed away 24 September 2016


It is with deep regret that I pass on the information of the passing of the first CO of 22 RVR, Darrell Strickland. Darrell passed away peacefully at home on Thursday 24th September. His funeral was held at Lyndon Grove Receptions, Grovedale (Geelong) on Wednesday 30th September.

Brigadier Bill Hocking ED RFD
Nov 1936 - 6 Dec 2016

2 Commando Coy - 1RVR - 4 Brigade

This week, the Brigade lost one of its former Commanders, Brigadier W. “Bill” Hocking RFD, ED. Bill joined the army in 1955, following national service. He climbed the ranks of the organisation, to become a 1-star: a Brigadier and Commander of the 4th Brigade in 1984.
Following retirement from the army in 1991, Bill accepted the role of Regimental Colonel of the Royal Victoria Regiment, from March 1994 until June 2001. As Regimental Colonel, he became known affectionately as “Brigadier Bill”. Bill was also a Sales Manager for Reg Hunt Motors for many years. Our thoughts are with Bill's wife Faye, their two sons and their families.


Captain Robert (Bob) Greig ED RFD

Passed away 18 May 2017

1RVR - 5/6RVR


John Hanllon wrote:- Having known Bob for many years and worked with him at ANZAC house for several, I am saddened to report Bob’s passing late on Thursday 18 May 2017. Bob had a long fight with cancer and only a few weeks ago advised me he had been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer, just to add to his problems. Bob's funeral was held in Canberra where he had lived with family for several years. Bob was Intelligence Officer with 1RVR in the 70's and 80's; a task he excelled at through briefings and lectures on the "enemy".

Bob Mc Dougal wrote:- I first came across the IO, Captain Bob Greig, when I was sent on a Regimental Signals Course, run by 1RVR at Puckapunyal circa 1975.  LTCOL Lunn was CO, of a very reduced Battalion. Having suffered the mass departure of National Servicemen doing their 6 year commitment. Bob Greig was IO and he had set up the Bn CP Ops/Int tent. It was out in the sticks. The new Sigs began to get used to the rostered duties. He was a fair boss, tireless in his application to work. It was only later I realised the extent of his commitment. The pressure lanterns were the ones with the silk mantle, tied on delicately around the burner. Some metho from a little green bottle was squirted went onto a small plate, and lit, to begin the combustion.  Do not lose the little pricker to keep the nozzle clear! A pale light, the hissing of the lamps and hash from the radio sets tended to make you somnambulant. Bob brought along his own radio rack, which was a great boon. It kept all the sets off the FS table and the handsets could be clipped onto the rig. The rack was suspended by wires from the central spar of the 11 x 11.  Bob also brought along his own LP gas lamps! Bringing us into the late 20th century. Although we sometimes rigged up a little fluro using a radio battery. 

We were short handed at the time. LTCOL Lunn got his Landrover fitted up with an ANGRA & speaker. The Bn had a march past, with the CO on the tailgate.  There was barely a Coy of us!Later I was sent to 3 Div as a clerk. At 3Div I observed the comings and goings of the Officers, they all knew and were contemporaries of Bob.  CAPT (at the time)  Paul Riley, LT (later Capt) Barry Coad, COL Bullard, BRIG Mac Grant. The annual camp that year was at the Big Desert.  Bob produced his Big Desert Special 1;25,000 map. With such flat topography there was only a little squiggly contour line on one corner!


Later I went to 1RVR as a Corporal under LT Ian Campey. We were building up D Coy. Our recruiting was successful and at one stage we had nearly 3 platoons on the back parade ground at Menin. A senior platoon doing courses, an IET platoon, desperate to wear the coveted blue lanyard, and the recruit platoon, some about to go to RTB or just come back. CAPT Greig in the meantime was running his INT Section on the top floor, end room at Menin. At the RVR I met some of stalwarts who were to be the mainstay of the RVR in the lean years to follow. Bob of course was there with his CPL Ken Lewis, a marvellous model maker & master of minutiae.  But also there was (rank excused) Jim Brown, Allan Wilkinson, T.C. Johnson, Mick Symons, Johnno Johnson, John Hanlon, John LeTet, Don Blanksby, Allan Hale, John Leyden, Maurie Ryan, Lt. Aird, Max Shepherd, Allan May, Peter Bayley,  MAJ Reinmuth, Norm Healey, Ken “Horse” Hargreaves, Peter McLellan, Carlo D’Appio, Maurie Sarteschi etc.  

At the Dargo High Plains exercise, one of the CP staff, CPL. Puttick observed an alarming incident involving Bob Greig. As we exercised “Jungle Warfare’ in our privately purchased Howard Greens, with Smocks Psychological, Katabatic winds & freezing rain.  The one Huey helicopter had arrived from RAAF Sale, to provide us with some idea of air mobility. Wild Bill Hocking was CO and the little black haired nuggety pilot, offered to take some officers for a joy flight. Into the Huey went Wild Bill, Bob of course, the ADJT, the 2IC, the QM and the officer who can usually be found hanging around any CP. The chopper got up to about 20 ft & there was a tremendous bang, and it came straight down again. First out and sprinting for the trees was the Flying Officer, and in the other direction the co-pilot.  The rest of the entire command group sat, just amazed. On reflection, had the chopper been a bit further over there was a sharp steep escarpment. Goodbye command group.  Incidently, at the same camp the BUC had a massive stockpile of beer cans. The then SSGT Hanlon seemed to take an interest in it, and it was piquetted at night time.   

The messes did get noisy and boisterous, the CO had his collar broken by the ADJT falling on him from the top of the mess tent. CPL McClurg wanted to fight anyone, and the inaugural VICTORIA POLICE SWAT team had to be disbanded as they fought among themselves. Horse Hargreaves said the inside of the Med Tent looked as if tomato sauce had been squirted about when they were wheeled in!
Circumstances put me out of the Platoon SGT business and Bob Greig took me under his wing and began to educate me.


I have sometimes called it a rough & tumble university, because there was a great deal of learning to be done. Bob on exercise took his grand panjandrum and box of tricks. He always set up the CP with the Ops and Int maps, the clip boards with Mor Reps, Sitreps, Intsums  etc.   t was very much his domain, the Duty Officers came & went.  Bob was always there, cogitating.  As I recall a new CO arrived in the wee hours. The hiss of the lamps, the drone of the KVA, the hash from the speakers had the duty men in a daze. The CO arrived as “Christ Cleaning the temple” and demanded an Int briefing! The Duty Officer the Sig & INT bloke stared aghast at this starched apparition. A resounding fart broke the silence and a hand reach out around the table and levered up the IO who had been asleep under the table. He then began a professional Int briefing: situation etc. The flabbergasted CO treated us with a little more respect after this, and he hustled out into the black night to find his hoochie! 

Under Bob’s tutelage I went on to do the Int course at SMI, Canungra. Bob was pleased although he sometimes muttered “green lanyard” when he found some publication he did not agree with. At 1RVR apart from disagreeing about stores with the then QM Adrian Jackson, he put out a brilliant publication: Unit intelligence Digest, September 1984.  

It was an A4 sized guide to the then training enemy the Musorians. All Soviet equipment of course, but included all the small arms, armoured vehicles, tanks, arty, SP arty even AA. In 3 parts it had Tactical Principles, Organisation (of MR/Rifle Bns), & combat weapons.  It was an excellent guide and much of it is still relevant today.  Bob had an extensive library and was an authority on some arcane subjects such as uniforms of the German Army in WW1, just to name one.  

The smoking ban in Commonwealth buildings began to bite, as Bob and many others liked a “durrie” at times. Also the end was nigh as 1RVR was subsumed into 5/6 RVR.  Bob left the service, over age for an Officer. Karen and myself, among others kept contact with Bob, and he even cooked us a delicious meal at his flat in Grey St., St. Kilda.  In later years I also corresponded with him when he was working for ANZAC House at the warehouse.   I sent my requests and returns in to him, sometimes with Green Lanyard, written on the bottom just to stir him up. That was where Peter Smith OAM met Bob when he joined the RSL as Appeals Director. We still got phone calls from Bob, & Christmas Cards, the last in 2016.

The only physical reminder I have of Bob is the book he gave me to start my education: Militia Battalion at War by Mathews & his palette from school.  The palette, which I still use has R.D. Greig on the back with Form V, ART, 157 Cornwall Rd Sunshine Melbourne. Rest in Peace Bob, you are one of the greats!  Regards, Bob Mc Dougall.

Paul Riley wrote:- Bob’s passing is sad news indeed. Another of the characters that enriched our lives in a variety of ways. Bob was a stalwart supporter of the profession at arms and the ARES in particular. He was a military enthusiast of the first order and he approached the business of officer-ship in his special way. He was the most effective Unit INT Officer I had the opportunity to work with. The dedication he offered to the task was beyond reproach and his enthusiasm rubbed off readily on those in his INT Section, I'm thinking here of the likes of Bob McDougal, Ken Lewis and many others. My first encounter with Bob was as a digger in D COY 1RVR (Pentropic) in 1962. The Coy was deployed to Blackwood for a tactical weekend and Bob’s Pl was the EN for the exercise. I remember this weekend for three reasons;

1.       My Pl (13), Pl Comd SGT Wally (Chesty) Schestopoulos (later Sheppard) debussed short of the defensive position we were to occupy and the confusion that followed did little for my confidence as a new member.

2.       We spent the morning adjusting our Pl position overlooking the Blackwood Recreation Reserve and dug in to stage 1. As we had been ordered to take breakfast and lunch with us from home, the evening meal was rationed. After stand-to that evening it was quite dark and SGT Brian Mullarvy appeared and dropped two tins into the weapon pit I was sharing with Danny O’Shea. Ten Man ration packs were all that were available in those days so between us we had a tin of peas and a tin of ox tongue. Need I say more?

3.       On Sunday during an advance to contact and a subsequent Pl attack the En was routed and a debrief was conducted. It was at this time that Bob the En Comd appeared resplendent in a German Officer uniform standing very erect, Rommel fashion, in the passenger side of an Austin Champ. He gave us all the Greig stare and moved on.

During the Jerusalem Inlet AFX in 1967 Bob was the Duty Officer in the BN CP and I was his understudy. At one point during the night Bob asked one of the Sigs to get a set of Chinagraph pencils from a pocket of Bob’s greatcoat that was hanging near the entrance. Shortly thereafter the Sig let out a almighty scream that startled everyone. He had driven his hand into the great coat pocket and latched onto Bob’s dentures. It took some time to calm him down with Bob explaining that he preferred not to wear the dentures because of the dust in the air.

Bob always worked hard and played hard and I can recall many nights in front of the bar in the Offrs Mess at Menin Depot, Bob regaling us with many facts and much gesticulation as he was want to do, usually with a glass in the same hand. Needless to say much drink was spilled and eventually the Parquetry floor had to be restored in the area that Bob habitually occupied.

Bob was an effective procurer and when we were refurbishing the indoor range at the Footscray Depot I rang him at work and asked him if he could obtain a sheet of steel plate to mount at the back of the stop butt. He said “let me see what I can do” and a short time later called me to ask if someone could be at the depot the next day to receive the said plate.

Bob was a willing supporter of the RVRA and for a number of years a regular volunteer storeman at the ANZAC House Warehouse. 

Without a doubt Bob did his bit for the country and his contribution was a valuable one. He left his unique mark on the activities in which he engaged and we will remember him fondly for many years to come.

Colonel Jim Wood

Passed away 1 July 2017



It is with great sadness that we advise of the passing on Friday of COL Jim Wood. Jim was a fine officer and gentleman, a friend and mentor to many of us, and a great supporter of the Regiment and MURA. Our thoughts are with his wife Colleen and family. His funeral was held  on Friday 7th July at the Collins Street Baptist Church.

John Hanlon wrote:- A sad message forwarded for your information. I recall working with Jim during the Big Desert camp in the early 70s. He was 2IC then and had the admin sorted to a T.


 Miguel Angel (Michael) Ferreyra 

A Coy 1RVR - 5/6RVR

5 June 1958 - 2 September 2017

Sadly Michael passed away on 2 September after a short battle with cancer. Michael served in

1 RVR and 5/6 RVRA and was respected as a conscientious solder and citizen.

Stand easy Michael.

The Funeral Mass of Michael Ferreyra was offered at St Mary’s Catholic Church, 123 St Leonards Road Ascot Vale on Thursday September the 7th, 2017 at 11:30 a.m. The Funeral left at the conclusion of Mass for Burial at Northern Memorial Park, Box Forest Road, Glenroy.

Affectionately known as Mickey, as a 16-year-old he and his family arrived in Australia from Chile.

After completing school, he trained as a dental technician and one day at work he and a mate (Anthony Wright) decided to join the Army Reserve.  He joined 1 RVR at Moonee Ponds and after recruit course he went to 'D' Company depot on Gordon Street Footscray.

Mickey was always known for his smile and sense of humour. He was also well known for the delightful food he took away every exercise, as he had real trouble with the ration packs of the day (luncheon meat type 1 or 2, ham and eggs etc). His pack was always well stocked with salami, cheese, olives, biscuits and the pouch of herbs and spices he used to make his and our meals edible.

After A Coy, Mickey went on to serve with the dental unit, running around the bush with his tube of 'super glue' to repair any broken dentures. All up Mickey served his country for about 10 years.

Mickey loved camping, BBQ's and time with family and friends, his traditional dancing, soccer and whisky.  Our last catch up with Mickey was on ANZAC day, where his smile and sense of humour belied the disease he was battling.

After 1 RVR he joined 5/6 RVR. One night during K89 PTE Ferrerya, as I had to address him as his CSM, and I drew radio piquet – the graveyard shift.  We discussed many issues as the radio traffic was minimal at the time, and I learned much about one of my soldiers that night.
I found out about the unpleasant circumstances that existed in Chile before he arrived in Australia, a country where his family could live safely and with opportunity to prosper. Mickey’s way of being grateful to an accepting nation, was to join the ARes to give something back to his adopted country.

Mickey was well respected by his peers for his dedication as a soldier and commitment to Australian citizenship.  I had the good fortune to catch up with him at an A Coy Dinner late last year, after so many years.

Vale Mickey. Rest in peace. We are all better for having known you.

Complied by Martin Catterall and John Hanlon

Colonel Jim Wood

Passed away July 2017

1 Commando Company - 1RVR - Command and Staff College, Queenscliff

Jim was 2IC of 1RVR,  during the Big Desert camp in the early  to mid ‘70’s. 

Over the period 1967-1984, he held a range of civilian appointments with the Departments of Defence and Foreign Affairs, with postings in Canberra, Melbourne, Jakarta (Embassy, 3rd/Sec 2nd, Political), Hong Kong (HQ British Forces) and Tokyo (Embassy, Counsellor, Political). He then settled in Melbourne and completed further post-graduate studies. Dr. Wood returned to secondary teaching in 1988 and retired in 2010 as Head of English at Fairhills High School.  Since retirement, he had continued his research and writing on Australia’s military history and on behalf of those Australians who served in the British Commonwealth Occupation Force (BCOF).


He spent thirty seven years as a citizen soldier, enlisting in 1956 in 1 Commando Company in Sydney, qualifying for the Green Beret, as a parachutist and other specialist courses and was commissioned in 1961. As the first Army Reserve Officer to be awarded a Defence Fellowship, he spent a year on full time duty during which time he visited the US and Europe (UK, Sweden, West Germany) and produced a major study on Mobilisation An outline record of its origin and development in respect of Land Forces.


During his final army appointment, 1990-92, as Colonel Project Officer, Command and Staff College, Queenscliff,  he updated his studies of mobilisation in the light of the Gulf War in a volume ‘Case Studies in Army Mobilisation’; his lectures to the College on ‘Mobilisation, the Benefits of Experience’ and ‘Mobilisation: The Gulf War in Prospect’, were published as SDSC Working Papers. Jim was a fine officer and gentleman, a friend and mentor to many, and a great supporter of the Regiment and MURA. His funeral was held on Friday 7th July at the Collins Street Baptist Church.

WOII Helmet "Max" Steininger

Passed away 6 December 2017

Max joined the CMF in 1966 and attended his recruit training at an annual field exercise held at the old Ballarat airfield that year. He then served for a long time in B Coy 5 RVR and attained the rank of Sergeant in the battalion. Max was a strong supporter of the Sgts Mess and a valued and loyal member of the battalion. He was well respected by his peers, officers and soldiers who had the fortune to serve with him. Max was eventually posted to 4BDE HQ and maintained the HQ Q store for a number of years before retiring with the rank of Warrant Officer Class Two, which gained whilst in the 4 BDE posting. 

Max also gave of his time each ANZAC Day for several years as a marshal where he successfully administered a number of information stands within the assembly area. Max suffered a short illness with cancer which was diagnosed recently. Typically, Max did not make an issue of his problem and it was not until a couple of months ago his friends found put how serious the problem was.  Max made the decision on 3 December with his family that he would not accept further treatment. He was a great friend and made friends easily. Those who knew him will remember the good times. He will be sadly missed  Rest-in-Peace.


23 July 1964 - 8 March 2018


LCPL Chris D Giang arrived in Australia as a refugee from Vietnam in 1980. He enlisted in the Army Reserve in Feb 1991 and was a member of 5/6 RVR Assault Pioneer platoon where he made many friends along the way. With a cheeky smile, sense of adventure, willing attitude (and the ability to cook his famous spring rolls in the field) Chris was liked by all who served with him.

Chris spent 18 years as a valuable member of the battalion, and was promoted to LCPL in 1997.  He deployed to the Solomon Islands on Operation Anode in 2007 and 2009 (Rotations 13 & 18) and was a part of Operation Vic Fire Assist. Whilst deployed Chris received a CTF635 Commanders Commendation for Exceptional Service.

In 2010 Chris transferred to the Air Force as an Aircraftsman based in Laverton.  Here he made many more friends, completed more courses and was awarded the No5 ‘Flight Most Outstanding Airman’ in 2015. Chris deployed to the Middle East in 2017 as part of Operation ‘Accordion’. It was there that he found that he had cancer and was transferred back home for treatment.  Chris fought the disease with his usual demeanour and even till the end he kept a positive outlook and made plans to see people when he left hospital. Chris lost his battle on 8 March 2017.

This is an extract from a post by Rob Williams describing Chris.
"Our brother, our friend, our mate Chris Giang’s battle is mercifully over; and although he is no longer physically with us, the mark of his character will for ever remain part of us. Chris was one of those unique soldier’s, airman, friends who never asked for respect, but instead earned it continuously on his own merit, time and time again.  As for all his service friends – mates, I can sincerely tell you that you were his surrogate family, a family by his only family admittance, confessed they neither knew, understood or appreciated what Army/Air Force meant to him, until his diagnosis and return from the Middle East. You’ve done more than your share for your family and mates Chris!  You can now stand easy, in the knowledge that you’ve served your country with distinction! Rest In Peace my brother!  

Lieutenant Colonel Donald Charles Blanksby RFD ED ADM (Retd)

24 March 1940 – 15 February 2019


On the 16th of February Don Blanksby passed away very suddenly from a suspected heart attack at the age of 78. 


Around 250 family, friends and associates attended his Memorial Wake at the Beachcomber Restaurant in St Kilda. Don’s family conducted the most memorable ceremony in which Don’s achievements in relation to his family, his various work endeavours, business, sailing and his service to the Army and Army Associations for more than 60 years were touched upon.


Don commenced his long association with the Army in August 1958 with 20 National Service Training Battalion and on completion of his full time training was posted to the Victorian Scottish Regiment where he was in due course promoted to corporal. With the absorption of the Melbourne-based infantry units into 1 Battalion, Royal Victoria Regiment (Pentropic) in July 1960 Don had postings as a sergeant in B Company (Hawthorn) and Support Company (Surrey Hills). 


Don attended Colonel George Warfe’s Potential Officers Course in 1963 and was commissioned in 1964. When the Pentropic battalions where disbanded in 1965 and the Standard Battalions where re-raised, Don remained with the new 1RVR. His no-nonsense, practical approach to soldiering was well regarded by all. In typical, now Captain Blanksby style, early in 1967 when challenged with the responsibility to establish a Regimental Band to support the Presentation of Colours Parade to be held in November that year. Don being the practical officer he was, recruited the complete Essendon Municipal Band and while there were a few recruiting issues in relation to appropriate ranks etc., the Band supported unit activities prior to the November Colours Parade.


In April 1968 Don deployed to Vietnam as part of the CMF Officer Familiarization Programme where he was attached to 3RAR.  In September 1974 Don was posted to Command and Staff Training Unit (CSTU) as a student and the following year he was posted to Headquarters CSTU, 3 Training Group as an Instructor. Between 1978 and 1981 Don had two posting with Headquarters 3 Division Field Force Group as the SO2 Infantry.  The tasks here were to write and conduct the Infantry TEWT, advise on Infantry Officer appointments and other duties as directed by the COL Inf. The very laconic Vin Musgrave who was the SO1, together with Don’s easy style and good humour, made the work bearable and some good outcomes where attained.

In June 1979 Don, having completed the TAC 5 course, was posted as 2IC 1RVR. In August 1980 he was posted back to Headquarters 3 Division Field Force Group and then in June 1981 he was appointed CO 1RVR.


In August 1982 he was posted to HQ 3 Division Field force Group that subsequently became HQ 3Div. It was during this time that Don was instrumental in the establishment of the 3Div Battle School at Puckapunyal. During this time he also wrote the staff paper proposing the raising of 5/6RVR which subsequently came to pass.


In August 1985 Don was appointed as Chief Instructor Officer Cadet Training Unit, 3 Training Group. In July 1987 he was posted to Reserve Command and Staff college as an Instructor and in February 1989 he was appointed as Senior Instructor, Regimental Wing, 3 Training Group. In January 1990 he was posted to HQ 3 Training Group and he retired on 23 March 1990.


Throughout his military career Don was passionate about the training afforded to soldiers and officers and this flowed over into his civilian career. While he always maintained a serious attitude to the many positions, postings and responsibilities he held, he never ever took himself too seriously. To work with him was often demanding but always enjoyable and rewarding. In relaxed mode Don was always fun to be around. He was the master of the “not PC” quip or comment and enjoyed a good time any time. There is no doubt that both Don and Bev Blanksby made a significant contribution to the advancement of the Army Reserve cause during their time in service, and for that we are most grateful.


Following his retirement he maintained a strong interest in Army matters through the various unit and Regimental associations. He was the foundation President of the RVR Association and in the early days all of the Association business was run out of his business offices in St Kilda. Don was an active member of the 5Bn VSR Association and until his passing he was the President of the 58/32 Inf Bn Association. He was a marshal for the ANZAC Day March in Melbourne for almost 20 years.

Don was involved in the Pipes and Drums Association from its beginning, almost 20 years ago, both as a Committee member and then as its current President. He was very much an ideas man and a networker, with a wealth of wisdom and knowledge to draw on from both his business and Army Reserve experience. The current sound position of both the Committee and the Pipes and Drums is in no small part due to his influence. Don was also a passionate sailor for a great part of his life where as a member of the Royal Brighton Yacht Club he owned and sailed a Jubilee and for the last 27 years or so a Dragon, which, for those who don’t know, is a quite technical three person 1926 classic style 9 metre Olympic class yacht. Don was a competent skipper, cool under pressure and he gained a few trophies. A number of us had the opportunity to spend time on the water with Don and it would be fair to say that no day was dull. When becalmed during those long multi-race Victorian or National Championship January days, the problems of the world would be discussed and many innovative, some might say outrageous, solutions determined. In recent years Don was elected as Vice Commodore and then Commodore of the Club and in these roles also brought to the fore the unique Blanksby style of leadership. Such was Don’s passion for sailing that a few years ago he purchased a new Dragon from the UK and was achieving some good results. He was really disappointed this summer when on damaging an ACL he was unable to compete in the National Championship and then the World Dragon Championships that were held in Fremantle WA.

Don’s passing has left a definite gap in the social fabric of the Victorian business arena, the defence service community, the sailing fraternity and of course his family of whom he was very proud.  Don’s legacy to all of us will be the enduring memory of a man who got things done. A man who could readily justify any moment of political incorrectness on his part, a man who did not suffer fools quietly and a man who genuinely enjoyed a good time with those he cared about. He will be sorely missed.  


Paul Riley

Brigadier Wayne Lawrence Dunbar CSC, RFD, ADM

Passed away 18 February 2019


Wayne Lawrence Dunbar, the son of Lawrence (Dec) and Audrey Dunbar, joined the Regular Army in July 1974 and went on to serve until 5 April 1985. He then joined the Army Reserve serving until 3 July 2008 attaining the rank of Brigadier. Wayne served in the Signals Corps before being commissioned at OCS Portsea in July 1976. He served with 3 RAR and 1 RTB. On joining the Army Reserve Wayne was posted to 3 Training Group (3 Times), 8/7 RVR, HQ Training Command, 8/7 RVR as CO, Directorate of Reserve Career Management – Army, HQ 4 Bde as Commander, Land Warfare Development Centre and finished his career at Directorate of Reserve Career Management – Army.

His service in the 8/7th Battalion was Dec 1989 - Jan 1991 and as Commanding Officer Dec 1993 to Jan 1997. Honours and Awards:  Conspicuous Service Cross, Reserve Force Decoration, Australian Defence Medal.  Brigadier Dunbar was awarded the Conspicuous Service Cross in the Australia Day Honours List 1997 for outstanding achievement with 8/7 Battalion, the Royal Victoria Regiment.

Despite living in Deniliquin in Southern NSW, Wayne successfully combined his Army Reserve career, along with managing the family Removalist Business. Wayne passed away unexpectedly on 18 February 2019. His funeral was held on Thursday 28th February at the Anglican Church in Deniliquin. Members of HQ 4th Brigade attended the funeral.

Wayne was an active member of the Deniliquin Racing Club for many years and was president for five years. During that time, he played a significant role securing the Caulfield Cup Day in Deniliquin to replace the New Year’s Day event. On ANZAC Day 2019 a memorial trophy in the memory of Wayne Dunbar was presented by Wayne’s family, including his mother, to the best performing Apprentice Jockey at the meeting.

Brian (Sandy) SANDERSON   

10 July 1943  -  18 May 2019    

Sandy joined 10 Medium Regiment, then in Warrnambool, and gained the rank of Sergeant. When 10 Medium Regiment reformed under the Pentropic Division, the Warrnambool depot transferred to 2RVR. Brian transferred to 2RVR as a Sergeant in the Mortar Platoon.

‘Sandy’ was the MC for the Warrnambool annual dinner for many years and was staunch supporter of Lyndon King and his Warrnambool committee, being well liked and a thorough gentleman.

Brian worked for Nestle for many years then, went out on his own selling furniture in his own business. He was married to Thelma (deceased) and is survived by John and Brenda their children.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young​
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow​
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted​
They fell with their faces to the foe


They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old​
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn


At the going down of the sun and in the morning


We will remember them

Lest We Forget



The Secretary

RVR Association Inc

c/- Regimental HQ

202 Burwood Road

Hawthorn 3122